Friday, January 31, 2014

Superman...

        
                                       This is him.                                                                      

                                             

 I have a calf on my farm that we saved from near death about 3 weeks ago. He is very energetic and loves his milk. Sometimes I swear that his eyes are 1000 times bigger than his stomach. He still tries to suck on you fingers even though he has finished his bottle. I am trying to get him to eat starter feed- feed that is more rich in minerals and protein- because one bag of milk re-placer is about 40 dollars, so yeah it is pretty expensive. It is fun to watch him run around and buck his little heals. I have named him Superman, because it is a miracle that he is alive. 
         He was born in my grandma's pasture while it was -11 degrees outside and there was 3 inches of snow on the ground. These factors can be fatal because when a calf is born they are all wet so Superman could have easily died of frost bite or hypothermia.
         Anyway, he seems to be flourishing now and I plan to show him at the Livingston County Fair next year. he will be a bull because I just couldn't stand to show him as a steer because after you show them you would have to sell him to slaughter because a steer can't breed so in the eyes of any other human they are just a big fat juicy beef steak. I do eat meat but that is just how I am raised. I have shown steers in the past and hated letting them go because i knew where they were going. that is why I am showing 2 heifers this year. I hope Superman looks like this,


                      


And I hope my heifers look like this,


And this,








                                                    





9 comments: